- Everything is new! 😎
We’re on a journey to reimagine everything 1Password can be on Windows. And you’re invited to join us!
It seems like just yesterday I unveiled 1Password 7 for Windows. At the time I said every bit and every pixel had been recreated from scratch to make 1Password the best it could be. It was a tremendously successful release.
Fast forward 3 years to today and I’m excited to reveal that we’re doing it all over again. We’re gearing up for all-new 1Password apps on every platform. Each one will be better and faster, and each will push the envelope for what you’ve come to expect from 1Password.
Today we’re opening early access for the next generation of 1Password for Windows. And it’s gorgeous! 😍
Next level design
Our designers and user experience specialists never stop iterating, polishing, and reimagining how 1Password can best help you get your work done.
For the next 1Password for Windows we’re applying every lesson we learned to create a delightful experience. And a delightful experience is often a darkful experience. 😎
Next level organization
With this latest iteration of 1Password for Windows we set out to simplify things so you can quickly find what you need. From a redesigned sidebar to new features like quick find and intelligent search results, you have the tools you need to stay on top of all of your items.
Next level sharing
Items now prominently show when they are being shared and it’s super clear who they’re being shared with. And when moving items you’ll see who will have access to the item before completing the move.
Next level Watchtower
The new Watchtower Dashboard makes it super easy to monitor and evaluate your password security health. Greatly improve your security by replacing passwords that need attention.
Next level editing
Editing is now easier than ever, thanks to improvements like smart suggestions and a new password generator. The item editor is more powerful, too. Attach files directly to your items so you have them close at hand. And with our new Security Questions feature you can generate secure answers to those pesky questions some websites require.
Next level performance
Our new 1Password apps are built in Rust, a secure systems programming language famous for its performance and safety. 🦀
You won’t see this change but you’ll feel it. The app is incredibly responsive across the board, from unlocking to adding accounts to searching your items.
Next level security
As always your items are protected with strong end-to-end encryption so only you can see them. Along with your Secret Key, advanced MFA options, and secure remote password, your data is more secure than ever.
And the lock screen now shows all your accounts. Along with Windows Hello for easy unlocking it’s never been easier to protect yourself, your family, and your entire company.
Next level data loss protection
The next generation of apps come with more protection against data loss than ever. You can restore recently deleted items as well as return to previous versions of an item in case of accidental edits or deletion.
Oh, and with 1Password Families and 1Password Business accounts you can assign people who will be able to recover your account in the event you forget your password. And the best part is recovery happens in a way that no one sees your private data.
Next level browsing
Let’s finish off with my favourite: the early access release integrates with our new 1Password in the browser to bring you our best experience, whether you use Edge, Brave, Firefox, or Chrome.
The inline menu gives you quick access to what you need exactly where you need it. It’s incredible! 🤩 And saving is more powerful and never looked better.
And yes, 1Password is sporting a dark theme in that screenshot! Dark mode is supported throughout the app and browser so it looks incredible everywhere! 😍
Try now with Early Access
With Early Access you can try the new 1Password for Windows before it is released. If you enjoy being on the bleeding edge, please join our new Early Access community and help us make this new app the best it can be:
Here you will find instructions on how to install the new app and share feedback with our development team.
And if you use other platforms in addition to Windows, you’re still welcome to join as this early access is compatible with our existing apps. We’ll also be releasing early access apps for all the other platforms over the coming months. It’s going to be an exciting year! 🤘
Take care and if you’re as excited about this as we are, please give us some love on Product Hunt and join our AMA on Thursday at noon eastern to, well…ask us anything. 🙂 Our entire team and I will be there to answer any questions that may be on your mind. 🤗
This is the way. 🚀🖖🏼
- Brand new design for the About page!
- The user can now enable reduced motion on the OS.
- TOTP code generation no longer causes high CPU usage.
- Give the Windows release a new icon.
- “Make a Copy” can now create a copy of an item in the current vault.
- We now support Duo’s version 2 authentication protocol.
- Fixed a problem where the MFA modal would disappear if it was open at the same time that 1Password locks.
- Icons for new items will be loaded while the user is editing the new item.
- Notifications can now appear even while 1Password is locked.
- Control + S again saves an item while the user is editing it.
- Help > About is now available in when 1Password is unlocked
- Tags can once again be added using the enter key
- Old instances of app icons are now removed from the system tray before an update on Windows
- Internal improvements and fixes
- New windows will always open on the same screen as 1Password’s main window.
- 1Password will show an alert when the user no longer has permission to save an item they are editing.
- Items on the action list are now pluralized when the user has multiple items selected.
- We added more helpful error messages for when the user makes a mistake entering codes for two factor authentication.
- Quick Search gives higher priority to favorited items.
- Now avoids re-checking any known vulnerable passwords within the same 24 hours.
- Show a better icon in the details view for missing files.
- An option to show auto-saved web details in the item details view has been added to 1Password’s Advanced settings.
- 1Password will show a warning if you’re attaching a file that is larger than the 2GB file size limit.
- Users can now show details about the web page associated with an item.
- 1Password will update only when locked and in the background.
- Fixed some undefined file watching behaviour
- Set consistent icons for 1Password for the desktop and for the 1Password browser helper.
- Text are now center-justified in the About 1Password screen.
- Removed an extra word (“at”) from item last modified text.
- Re-enabled error reporting for the 1Password for Windows installer.
- It is now possible to copy an item from a vault that lacks the permission to update items.
- Fixed an issue where dismissing the two-factor authentication view would incorrectly attempt to submit instead of cancelling it.
- Updated the diagnostics report tool to include item counts as well as any sync issues found.
- Various internal fixes and optimizations.
- A variety of improvements to window management, visual glitches, and biometric prompting issues.
- The menu from right-clicking on an item is now consistent with the item detail’s overflow menu.
- Fixed the scrollbar in the vault icon selector view.
- Fixed a bug in which dismissing an error prompt during vault creation could cause 1Password to exit.
- New vaults will show up in the sidebar immediately after creation.
- Fixed some spacing issues in the item detail editor.
- In certain old items, the top section header was not editable if it contained a user-entered text.
- Fixed the grouping of commonly used categories in the category filter.
- 1Password incorrectly didn’t fall back to the six-digit prompt for two-factor authentication for users who have security keys registered to their 1Password account.
- Quitting the app while the two-factor authentication prompt was open no longer prevents the prompt from showing up again.
- Fixed the UI glitch on the divider between the item list and item detail views when scrolling either the item list or the details view.
- Fix some problems with bringing 1Password to the foreground when triggered from the browser.
- Default the Setup Another Device view to the currently selected account
- Replaced “Unsecured URLs” with “Unsecured Websites” everywhere.
- Watchtower will now only check the first URL saved in the item when checking for unsecured website addresses.
- Removed the Check for vulnerable password field option on the password fields.
- Fixed a problem with the installer not fully cleaning up when there are spaces in the path.
- Clarified the app update notification message.
- Fixed problems with mixed character inserts and truncated characters when dragging a username or password.
- Users can now edit (and delete) auto-saved web form details.
- We’ve optimized our icons for performance.
- When 1Password is already unlocked, signing into a new account will take the user to that account.
- We improved the look and feel of the 1Password account sign-in view.
- We improved our error messages on the lock screen.
- Connections to your 1Password account are a bit more robust.
- We refreshed the categories picker icon.
ESCnow dismisses the move item and new vault views.
- We fixed a extra error message with the “Edit”, “Move”, and “Copy” actions.
- We fixed a glitch with the icon selector when creating a new vault.
- We cleaned up some conflicting UI behaviors with multiple views overriding each other.
- We improved the look of the missing file icon.
- 1Password’s connection to the server will now stop when it encounters an unrecoverable error, instead of trying to continue.
- It is now possible to right-click to open an item in a new window, even if no item is currently selected.
- The Advanced Settings panel now has an option to disable automatic updates.
- We improved the performance of drag and drop.
- After an update, 1Password will re-open with the same window size and position.
- The Shortcut key or
Shift + F10is now available to show the context menu on the selected items in the item list.
- Restored the
Control + Kshortcut for the keyboard shortcuts guide.
- Aligned the rightmost icons on the sidebar.
- Dimmed the extra parts of the website address to make the main domain pop out.
- Fixed the issue where resizing the sidebar would not resize back if the dragging motion was paused but not released.
- Non-numeric characters are no longer allowed in the numeric date fields.
- Clicking a Related Item now minimizes the sidebar and item list changes while updating the item details view.
- Turned off the horizontal scrolling in the Settings > About 1Password pane.
- Watchtower dashboard now has smoother animations.
- Fixed the Setting icons to be round.
- Double click on item in the item list now opens them in a new window.
- Quick Find now minimizes the sidebar and item list changes when selecting the result.
- Large type will now show a correctly formatted title for URL fields on items.
- Fixed the Dark mode progress spinner to be the correct color.
- The item location bar now truncates properly.
- Updated default button style.
- Fixed our icon cache that were displaying incorrect account avatars on the lock view and Rich items in the item list when using multiple 1Password accounts.
- When adding a new 1Password account manually, the sign-in address will be validated automatically prior to signing-in.
- The window manages its focus better in more situations.
- Updated item detail top spacing.
- Added new button icons in the manual account sign in view.
- Restored the Essentials Settings view when signing in for the first time.
- 1Password will now install the downloaded update upon quitting if automatic update is enabled.
- Quick Find has been greatly overhauled to be more performant while using less CPU and it can now better handle accents, emojis 💗, and more.
- Revisited and adjusted our keyboard shortcuts for consistency across platforms. Learn about them by using the keyboard shortcuts guide with
Control + /or click the Help icon on the toolbar.
- Restored keyboard shortcuts for refreshing the window and for triggering the account data update check.
Menu > Exithas been fixed to exit the app.
- Security settings have been adjusted to be disabled while 1Password is locked.
- Adjusted the wording of the vault permission setting in the New Vault view.
- Fixed dragging fields within the same item details view to avoid clicking any fields.
- Expanded and improved the wordings of our update checks in the About view.
- If the updater fails to validate the downloaded file, it’ll reject it and switch the update check back to being up to date.
- Brought back Ctrl+\ autofill shortcut on the current page. Currently only available when there’s a single matching item. Support for multipe suggests coming soon.
- Quick Access menu now only displays actions that are relevant to the selected item.
- Focus now returns to the last app when Quick Access loses focus.
- Added support for non-authenticated proxies.
- Use system proxy settings and detect proxies via PAC files.
- Right-click on any field in item details to open its context menu.
- Accounts can be added and removed from the new Account Management screen.
- Accessibility improvements on the lock screen, Account Management, alerts and menus with many more to come throughout the app.
- Many improvements to keyboard shortcuts and navigation throughout Quick Access.
- Improved design of item details header while in edit mode.
- Refreshed the design of the Watchtower banners.
- Reduced jank in Large Type window to avoid it bouncing around.
- Fixed flash of unstyled text when opening an item in a new window.
- Avoid showing the main window of the app when invoking Quick Access.
- Always show Windows Hello on top of open windows
- Windows Hello prompt now displays on the active monitor
- Quick Access hint bar now fits in one line and shows the correct shortcuts.
- Added a Quick Access option to the system tray.
- Quick Access now hides when the user selects an action.
- Re-enabled vault collections.
- Prompt for unlock if the user tries to open Quick Access while 1Password is locked.
- Improved the keyboard navigation for Quick Access.
- Added a right-click menu to Item View fields.
- Quick Access will only show menu actions relevant to the selected item.
- Added an About icon.
- Fixed incorrect voice over text on the lock screen button.
- Moved “Edit” to before “Open in New Window” in an item’s context menu.
- Updated the Watchtower banners to our latest design.
- Improved the screen reader text for the Account Management sign out button.
- Cleaned up the borders in the Item Edit header.
- Set Quick Access shortcuts:
Ctrl+Oto open an item in a new window, and
Ctrl+Shift+Oto open the item in the main 1Password window.
- Added a title for screen readers to alert dialogs.
- Removed superfluous
+signs from the Quick Access shortcut display.
- The Settings close button now has a label for screen readers.
- Fixed a problem in which two words beginning with the same characters in an item would not appear in search results when they should.
- Added keyboard shortcuts and menu actions for Archive and Delete.
- Fixed a problem that caused Large Type window to bounce around.
- Screen readers will now read most elements of the Settings page.
Ctrl+.will close Quick Access.
- Clarified the text of dialogs that involve discarding changes.
- Quick Access will no longer show results when the search field is empty.
- Arrow keys and navigation modifiers now work in the Quick Access search field.
- Fixed how we show the Quick Access shortcuts.
- Added the ability to change keyboard shortcuts in the Settings dialog.
Ctrl + Fwill now include search filters to help narrow your search within the current item list.
- Open and fill your Login items directly from Quick Access!
- Search filters are now available in Quick Access.
- Quick Access now launches on the same monitor or virtual desktop as your cursor.
- We’ve updated the Locale setting in our Advanced settings view to show the full language names instead of the language codes.
- Scrolling up and down the item list is now more responsive when holding down the arrow keys.
- The feedback icon on the app toolbar is now accessible to screen readers.
- Quick Access is now fully accessible to screen readers.
- Screen readers can now read out the selected option in the dropdown menus in Settings, item overflow, field actions, and the user menu.
- Screen readers now announce the “next” button changes in our setup tour.
- When creating a new item, screen readers will now include information about which account and vault the new item will go to.
- The system’s processor type will now be included in the Diagnostics Report.
Quick Access is now smarter and more helpful by prioritizing items based on your previous searches.
And by popular demand we brought back the fun little keyhole animation when unlocking 1Password and shaking the password field when the password is incorrect. 😍
Here’s the full list of changes in this release:
- Quick Access is now smarter and more helpful by prioritizing items based on your previous searches
- Quick Access no longer resizes the window when searching
- Avoid showing dupicate categories within Quick Find results
- Now hiding the main window after unlocking if unlock was started via Quick Access
- Fixed Quick Access menu text overflow issue
- Copy actions are now shown first in Quick Access Menu
- Added the ability to clear keyboard shortcuts in preferences
- Removed an inappropriate word from the secure password generator word list but we won’t tell you which one 😂
You can now use security keys, like YubiKey or Titan, as your second factor when adding new accounts or reauthorizing devices. 🙌🏼
If you haven’t enabled your security key on your 1Password account yet, here’s how:
Note that you can still use standard one-time passwords when needed, such as on devices that do not support security keys, or incase you lose your dongle.
Advanced search filters 🔎
Technically we started adding filters a few weeks ago but today’s update expands the places where they can be used. Now that they’re better than ever I thought it a good time to show how awesome filters are. Here they are in action:
=tag:$name are likely to be the most popular but you can also use
=category:$name to filter by category and
=favorite to only include items that are marked as a favourite.
All names are case sensitive and we do our best to support spaces and other special characters within names. In a future update we’ll add support in the UI itself for constructing the advanced search.
Navigation buttons ⬅️ ➡️
Today’s release brings back the Back and Forward navigation buttons! 😍
I say “brings back” as we had these buttons early in development process and needed to remove them temporarily while we sorted a few things out. I’m super excited they’re back as they make navigating around 1Password so much nicer.
I find the back button especially lovely when I’m editing an item and need to copy something from another item. Now I can go find the second item, open it in a new window, and then press the back button to return to where I was. ⚡️
Here’s the full list of changes in this release:
- Turn any Password item into a Login item by adding a username.
- Use your security key as a second factor to unlock the 1Password app.
- Use scopes to customize your search results and find only the items you need. - Quick Access gets you where you’re going even sooner with faster load times, scrollable results, and smart actions that let you open and fill items, view details, and more.
- The vault count in the overview section of the diagnostics report now accurately reflects the number of vaults in all accounts.
- The background color for the item count is now a more readable shade of red when dragging items.
- Vault collection icons that include multiple account avatars now align nicely to the left in the menu.
- The titlebar button and toolbar height now matches other desktop platforms and the toolbar content is properly aligned. - Some errors are kinder than they appear – the Native Messaging Host manifest installation error has softened to a gentle warning.
- A slew of style and design adjustments to the Quick Access menu fixes the title color of the item row, the color of the search icon, and the style, window width, padding, and margins of the hint bar.
- The Software License item now has a multi-line text field.
- Double vision be gone! The keyboard shorcuts modal no longer duplicates keys in list items.
Ctrl + Fshortcut no longer includes a space when in an item list that does not support search filters.
- Quick Access no longer crashes after launching.
Nestled right beside Archive you’ll now find Recently Deleted items. This enables you to quickly view items you previously removed without needing to leave the app. 🥰
In today’s release you’ll be able to see and interact with recently deleted items. In a future update you’ll be able to restore and permanently destroy them as well.
Watchtower design updates
We’ve iterated on the design for Watchtower with new fonts, layout tweaks, and button styles. 😍
When creating new vaults you can now choose which account it should be created in. 💙
Create Documents directly from the Dock
Here’s the full list of changes in this release:
- Access your recently deleted items from the sidebar.
- Scan your Setup Code to sign in to your 1Password account, or use the improved Emergency Kit option.
- You can now switch accounts when creating a new vault.
- Hardened the Windows Registry handler for URLs to improve security.
- Screen readers will now indicate more options are available for password and security question fields.
- The item location bar is now more accessible when using a screen reader.
- Added visual cues and messages to provide more helpful feedback when using Quick Access shortcuts.
- Type-ahead has been added to the Quick Access menu.
- Increased window height and padding on item rows in the Quick Access menu.
- Watchtower received some aesthetic enhancements with updates to the the layout, card fonts, and “Show items” button.
- Item permissions are now checked to determine which edit menu actions are available.
- The uninstaller now works with Windows accounts that contain symbols.
- It’s now possible to use the keyboard to select a vault in the Move or Copy Items views.
- Pressing the Esc (Escape) key now closes the password history modal.
- Permissions are now checked before the delete or archive action is performed.
- The Quick Access view reopens to its previous location after the app locks or restarts.
- Fixed the text wrapping for note fields.
Those who love customizing the look of their items rejoice! Items with customized icons can now be seen throughout the app, from item details to item lists, quick find, and search results. 😍
Quick Access also gets support for custom icons as well as a new Hint Bar that shows where an item is located.
Here’s the full list of changes in this release:
- We’ve added support for viewing custom icons.
- Item location information has been added to the More Actions menu in Quick Access.
- Support has been added for authenticated proxies.
- We’ve removed several offensive words from the password generator. Don’t go looking for them, though, because they won’t be there (but please do let us know if you find any others).
- We’ve added more drag-and-drop support when importing the Emergency Kit.
- The list of recently deleted items now only shows results from the past 30 days in the app, and those items no longer show field actions.
- We’ve updated the URL to sign up for a new account so you’re redirected back to the app after the sign up is complete.
- The More Actions menu in Quick Access has been improved to focus on the first action when opened and to show actions actions related to selected items.
- The height of section titles has been increased in the item detail view.
- The style of the sign-in screen has been improved.
- Search results no longer include recently deleted items.
- The search filter now uses custom template names instead of UUIDs when pressing Ctrl + F to auto-populate scope fields.
- In the list of search results, the X button now shows the “Cancel search” label when focused.
- Recently deleted items now show up correctly even if the item has an invalid date format.
- The field styles for Document items have been restored.
- The New Item shortcut is now disabled when a modal is open.
- The More Actions menu in Quick Access now resets after the 30 second timeout period.
- Quick Access no longer reopens to the search results if the user was on More Actions.
- The padding on the Close button in the Action Menu has been fixed.
- We’ve added a missing animation in Quick Access for smart or open actions (Enter, Open, Open in 1Password, and Open & Fill).
- Zeroes are now displayed consistently across fields in item details and editing.
- We fixed a rare timeout handle leak in Quick Access that could sometimes result in an error message.
- The forward and back keyboard shortcuts now match those of the operating system.
- If no account name is available when signing in to an account, we now use the host name for the sign-in URL instead of the email address.
- We removed a change that resulted in the number font being displayed globally.
- Button icons on the set up screens are now properly aligned.
Watchtower shows Unsecured Website alerts only on sites that have a secure HTTPS option available.
Here’s the full list of changes in this release:
- We’ve added a new keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + R) to reveal or conceal secure fields in item details.
- Camera access has been restored and it’s now possible to scan Setup Codes again.
- Localization has been improved using new translations from Crowdin.
- Watchtower shows Unsecured Website alerts only on sites that have a secure HTTPS option available.
- Quick Access will now adapt to your previous search usage to show better results over time, including across app restarts.
- The Settings window is now always in the foreground when opened from Quick Access.
- 1Password uses a default sign-in address when adding an account.
- We’ve made some general design improvements to the lock screen, note fields, and other areas.
- Scrolling now works more smoothly again.
- When signing in to a 1Password account, you can now click on any found account to reveal the password field if you’re not already signed in to that account.
- When signing in to an account, you can now click anywhere on a found account row to reveal the password field.
- We’ve fixed a problem with Duo multi-factor authentication that could cause it to fail during pre-authentication.
- Updating an item from Watchtower or from Search results no longer resets you back to the All Items list.
- We’ve fixed an issue with fields not being properly focused in several views.
- Quick Find search results are now cleared after a result is selected.
- The Quick Access hint bar now hides overflowing shortcut elements.
- Sign-in requests are now cancelled if the window is closed without clicking the Sign In button.
- We’ve fixed some font inconsistencies.
You can now securely share items with people outside of your family or company accounts. 🎉 In fact, you can securely share your items with anyone, even those who aren’t using 1Password yet. 🔐
It’s as easy as copy-and-paste but way more secure than placing private information in chats or email. Just select Share… from the item details overflow menu.
You can choose when the link will expire and have the option to limit the share to specific email addresses. Once created you can share the link using Signal, iMessage, SMS, Slack, or otherwise.
Once your friend, colleague, or family member opens the link they can view the item directly in their browser. 😍
The really cool part of this is the link itself contains the share secret so only you and those you share the link with will be able to view the item.
Here’s the full list of changes in this release:
- It is now possible to edit account details on the sign-in view to update it after receiving an authentication error such as an outdated secret key.
- An empty item list view has been added for when there are no deleted items in the Recently Deleted Items view.
- We’ve overhauled our context menu code to process all copy actions through a unified clipboard implementation.
- Item list now inform about how long you can recover deleted items at the bottom of the item list for the Recently Deleted items.
- Added a focus ring to make it clear when the Cancel Search button has focus.
- Changed “More” to “More Actions” in the Quick Access hint bar.
- Updated the button style for the buttons within the text field such as the reveal password button in the account password field.
- Improved the accessibility support to our user menu dropdown.
- Fixed the issue where the multi-factor authentication code field would not appear for international users.
- Added an animation effect for when using the keyboard shortcuts to trigger an action in Quick Access view.
- Quick Access’s keyboard shortcuts guide will now be shown in its own window.
- Fixed a rare issue where 1Password could not recover from a draft restoration issue upon unlocking.
- Screen readers will now announce the name of the field that is highlighted
- Copying content to clipboard should be more reliable now.
- The tray icon has been updated to use a higher resolution image.
- We’ve fixed the copy buttons on Set Up Another Device view when managing accounts.
- We’ve added reveal and conceal actions to the Secret Key and Password fields.
- Screen readers can now more clearly read buttons in the alert dialog.
- We’ve improved the accessibility of toggle buttons in the sidebar and markdown notes.
- The combo box has been improved to make it more accessible.
- The Hong Kong region now localizes to Traditional Chinese by default and Chinese is now correctly recognized as the default system language.
- We’ve resolved an issue where rich icons would sometimes fail to appear.
- We’ve added
_as a word boundary when searching. ** #10570**
- Drag and drop now shows as “not allowed” for recently deleted items.
- Accounts in the user menu and main menu are now shown in the order they’ve been added.
- We’ve improved the performance of combo boxes.
- Default drop-down items will no longer appear when typing in a search scope.
- The Quick Access window now automatically resizes based on the number of item results.