- Everything is new! 😎
We’re on a journey to reimagine everything 1Password can be on Windows. And you’re invited to join us!
It seems like just yesterday I unveiled 1Password 7 for Windows. At the time I said every bit and every pixel had been recreated from scratch to make 1Password the best it could be. It was a tremendously successful release.
Fast forward 3 years to today and I’m excited to reveal that we’re doing it all over again. We’re gearing up for all-new 1Password apps on every platform. Each one will be better and faster, and each will push the envelope for what you’ve come to expect from 1Password.
Today we’re opening early access for the next generation of 1Password for Windows. And it’s gorgeous! 😍
Next level design
Our designers and user experience specialists never stop iterating, polishing, and reimagining how 1Password can best help you get your work done.
For the next 1Password for Windows we’re applying every lesson we learned to create a delightful experience. And a delightful experience is often a darkful experience. 😎
Next level organization
With this latest iteration of 1Password for Windows we set out to simplify things so you can quickly find what you need. From a redesigned sidebar to new features like quick find and intelligent search results, you have the tools you need to stay on top of all of your items.
Next level sharing
Items now prominently show when they are being shared and it’s super clear who they’re being shared with. And when moving items you’ll see who will have access to the item before completing the move.
Next level Watchtower
The new Watchtower Dashboard makes it super easy to monitor and evaluate your password security health. Greatly improve your security by replacing passwords that need attention.
Next level editing
Editing is now easier than ever, thanks to improvements like smart suggestions and a new password generator. The item editor is more powerful, too. Attach files directly to your items so you have them close at hand. And with our new Security Questions feature you can generate secure answers to those pesky questions some websites require.
Next level performance
Our new 1Password apps are built in Rust, a secure systems programming language famous for its performance and safety. 🦀
You won’t see this change but you’ll feel it. The app is incredibly responsive across the board, from unlocking to adding accounts to searching your items.
Next level security
As always your items are protected with strong end-to-end encryption so only you can see them. Along with your Secret Key, advanced MFA options, and secure remote password, your data is more secure than ever.
And the lock screen now shows all your accounts. Along with Windows Hello for easy unlocking it’s never been easier to protect yourself, your family, and your entire company.
Next level data loss protection
The next generation of apps come with more protection against data loss than ever. You can restore recently deleted items as well as return to previous versions of an item in case of accidental edits or deletion.
Oh, and with 1Password Families and 1Password Business accounts you can assign people who will be able to recover your account in the event you forget your password. And the best part is recovery happens in a way that no one sees your private data.
Next level browsing
Let’s finish off with my favourite: the early access release integrates with our new 1Password in the browser to bring you our best experience, whether you use Edge, Brave, Firefox, or Chrome.
The inline menu gives you quick access to what you need exactly where you need it. It’s incredible! 🤩 And saving is more powerful and never looked better.
And yes, 1Password is sporting a dark theme in that screenshot! Dark mode is supported throughout the app and browser so it looks incredible everywhere! 😍
Try now with Early Access
With Early Access you can try the new 1Password for Windows before it is released. If you enjoy being on the bleeding edge, please join our new Early Access community and help us make this new app the best it can be:
Here you will find instructions on how to install the new app and share feedback with our development team.
And if you use other platforms in addition to Windows, you’re still welcome to join as this early access is compatible with our existing apps. We’ll also be releasing early access apps for all the other platforms over the coming months. It’s going to be an exciting year! 🤘
Take care and if you’re as excited about this as we are, please give us some love on Product Hunt and join our AMA on Thursday at noon eastern to, well…ask us anything. 🙂 Our entire team and I will be there to answer any questions that may be on your mind. 🤗
This is the way. 🚀🖖🏼
- Brand new design for the About page!
- The user can now enable reduced motion on the OS.
- TOTP code generation no longer causes high CPU usage.
- Give the Windows release a new icon.
- “Make a Copy” can now create a copy of an item in the current vault.
- We now support Duo’s version 2 authentication protocol.
- Fixed a problem where the MFA modal would disappear if it was open at the same time that 1Password locks.
- Icons for new items will be loaded while the user is editing the new item.
- Notifications can now appear even while 1Password is locked.
- Control + S again saves an item while the user is editing it.
- Help > About is now available in when 1Password is unlocked
- Tags can once again be added using the enter key
- Old instances of app icons are now removed from the system tray before an update on Windows
- Internal improvements and fixes
- New windows will always open on the same screen as 1Password’s main window.
- 1Password will show an alert when the user no longer has permission to save an item they are editing.
- Items on the action list are now pluralized when the user has multiple items selected.
- We added more helpful error messages for when the user makes a mistake entering codes for two factor authentication.
- Quick Search gives higher priority to favorited items.
- Now avoids re-checking any known vulnerable passwords within the same 24 hours.
- Show a better icon in the details view for missing files.
- An option to show auto-saved web details in the item details view has been added to 1Password’s Advanced settings.
- 1Password will show a warning if you’re attaching a file that is larger than the 2GB file size limit.
- Users can now show details about the web page associated with an item.
- 1Password will update only when locked and in the background.
- Fixed some undefined file watching behaviour
- Set consistent icons for 1Password for the desktop and for the 1Password browser helper.
- Text are now center-justified in the About 1Password screen.
- Removed an extra word (“at”) from item last modified text.
- Re-enabled error reporting for the 1Password for Windows installer.
- It is now possible to copy an item from a vault that lacks the permission to update items.
- Fixed an issue where dismissing the two-factor authentication view would incorrectly attempt to submit instead of cancelling it.
- Updated the diagnostics report tool to include item counts as well as any sync issues found.
- Various internal fixes and optimizations.
- A variety of improvements to window management, visual glitches, and biometric prompting issues.
- The menu from right-clicking on an item is now consistent with the item detail’s overflow menu.
- Fixed the scrollbar in the vault icon selector view.
- Fixed a bug in which dismissing an error prompt during vault creation could cause 1Password to exit.
- New vaults will show up in the sidebar immediately after creation.
- Fixed some spacing issues in the item detail editor.
- In certain old items, the top section header was not editable if it contained a user-entered text.
- Fixed the grouping of commonly used categories in the category filter.
- 1Password incorrectly didn’t fall back to the six-digit prompt for two-factor authentication for users who have security keys registered to their 1Password account.
- Quitting the app while the two-factor authentication prompt was open no longer prevents the prompt from showing up again.
- Fixed the UI glitch on the divider between the item list and item detail views when scrolling either the item list or the details view.
- Fix some problems with bringing 1Password to the foreground when triggered from the browser.
- Default the Setup Another Device view to the currently selected account
- Replaced “Unsecured URLs” with “Unsecured Websites” everywhere.
- Watchtower will now only check the first URL saved in the item when checking for unsecured website addresses.
- Removed the Check for vulnerable password field option on the password fields.
- Fixed a problem with the installer not fully cleaning up when there are spaces in the path.
- Clarified the app update notification message.
- Fixed problems with mixed character inserts and truncated characters when dragging a username or password.
- Users can now edit (and delete) auto-saved web form details.
- We’ve optimized our icons for performance.
- When 1Password is already unlocked, signing into a new account will take the user to that account.
- We improved the look and feel of the 1Password account sign-in view.
- We improved our error messages on the lock screen.
- Connections to your 1Password account are a bit more robust.
- We refreshed the categories picker icon.
ESCnow dismisses the move item and new vault views.
- We fixed a extra error message with the “Edit”, “Move”, and “Copy” actions.
- We fixed a glitch with the icon selector when creating a new vault.
- We cleaned up some conflicting UI behaviors with multiple views overriding each other.
- We improved the look of the missing file icon.
- 1Password’s connection to the server will now stop when it encounters an unrecoverable error, instead of trying to continue.
- It is now possible to right-click to open an item in a new window, even if no item is currently selected.
- The Advanced Settings panel now has an option to disable automatic updates.
- We improved the performance of drag and drop.
- After an update, 1Password will re-open with the same window size and position.
- The Shortcut key or
Shift + F10is now available to show the context menu on the selected items in the item list.
- Restored the
Control + Kshortcut for the keyboard shortcuts guide.
- Aligned the rightmost icons on the sidebar.
- Dimmed the extra parts of the website address to make the main domain pop out.
- Fixed the issue where resizing the sidebar would not resize back if the dragging motion was paused but not released.
- Non-numeric characters are no longer allowed in the numeric date fields.
- Clicking a Related Item now minimizes the sidebar and item list changes while updating the item details view.
- Turned off the horizontal scrolling in the Settings > About 1Password pane.
- Watchtower dashboard now has smoother animations.
- Fixed the Setting icons to be round.
- Double click on item in the item list now opens them in a new window.
- Quick Find now minimizes the sidebar and item list changes when selecting the result.
- Large type will now show a correctly formatted title for URL fields on items.
- Fixed the Dark mode progress spinner to be the correct color.
- The item location bar now truncates properly.
- Updated default button style.
- Fixed our icon cache that were displaying incorrect account avatars on the lock view and Rich items in the item list when using multiple 1Password accounts.
- When adding a new 1Password account manually, the sign-in address will be validated automatically prior to signing-in.
- The window manages its focus better in more situations.
- Updated item detail top spacing.
- Added new button icons in the manual account sign in view.
- Restored the Essentials Settings view when signing in for the first time.
- 1Password will now install the downloaded update upon quitting if automatic update is enabled.
- Quick Find has been greatly overhauled to be more performant while using less CPU and it can now better handle accents, emojis 💗, and more.
- Revisited and adjusted our keyboard shortcuts for consistency across platforms. Learn about them by using the keyboard shortcuts guide with
Control + /or click the Help icon on the toolbar.
- Restored keyboard shortcuts for refreshing the window and for triggering the account data update check.
Menu > Exithas been fixed to exit the app.
- Security settings have been adjusted to be disabled while 1Password is locked.
- Adjusted the wording of the vault permission setting in the New Vault view.
- Fixed dragging fields within the same item details view to avoid clicking any fields.
- Expanded and improved the wordings of our update checks in the About view.
- If the updater fails to validate the downloaded file, it’ll reject it and switch the update check back to being up to date.
- Brought back Ctrl+\ autofill shortcut on the current page. Currently only available when there’s a single matching item. Support for multipe suggests coming soon.
- Quick Access menu now only displays actions that are relevant to the selected item.
- Focus now returns to the last app when Quick Access loses focus.
- Added support for non-authenticated proxies.
- Use system proxy settings and detect proxies via PAC files.
- Right-click on any field in item details to open its context menu.
- Accounts can be added and removed from the new Account Management screen.
- Accessibility improvements on the lock screen, Account Management, alerts and menus with many more to come throughout the app.
- Many improvements to keyboard shortcuts and navigation throughout Quick Access.
- Improved design of item details header while in edit mode.
- Refreshed the design of the Watchtower banners.
- Reduced jank in Large Type window to avoid it bouncing around.
- Fixed flash of unstyled text when opening an item in a new window.
- Avoid showing the main window of the app when invoking Quick Access.
- Always show Windows Hello on top of open windows
- Windows Hello prompt now displays on the active monitor
- Quick Access hint bar now fits in one line and shows the correct shortcuts.
- Added a Quick Access option to the system tray.
- Quick Access now hides when the user selects an action.
- Re-enabled vault collections.
- Prompt for unlock if the user tries to open Quick Access while 1Password is locked.
- Improved the keyboard navigation for Quick Access.
- Added a right-click menu to Item View fields.
- Quick Access will only show menu actions relevant to the selected item.
- Added an About icon.
- Fixed incorrect voice over text on the lock screen button.
- Moved “Edit” to before “Open in New Window” in an item’s context menu.
- Updated the Watchtower banners to our latest design.
- Improved the screen reader text for the Account Management sign out button.
- Cleaned up the borders in the Item Edit header.
- Set Quick Access shortcuts:
Ctrl+Oto open an item in a new window, and
Ctrl+Shift+Oto open the item in the main 1Password window.
- Added a title for screen readers to alert dialogs.
- Removed superfluous
+signs from the Quick Access shortcut display.
- The Settings close button now has a label for screen readers.
- Fixed a problem in which two words beginning with the same characters in an item would not appear in search results when they should.
- Added keyboard shortcuts and menu actions for Archive and Delete.
- Fixed a problem that caused Large Type window to bounce around.
- Screen readers will now read most elements of the Settings page.
Ctrl+.will close Quick Access.
- Clarified the text of dialogs that involve discarding changes.
- Quick Access will no longer show results when the search field is empty.
- Arrow keys and navigation modifiers now work in the Quick Access search field.
- Fixed how we show the Quick Access shortcuts.
- Added the ability to change keyboard shortcuts in the Settings dialog.
Ctrl + Fwill now include search filters to help narrow your search within the current item list.
- Open and fill your Login items directly from Quick Access!
- Search filters are now available in Quick Access.
- Quick Access now launches on the same monitor or virtual desktop as your cursor.
- We’ve updated the Locale setting in our Advanced settings view to show the full language names instead of the language codes.
- Scrolling up and down the item list is now more responsive when holding down the arrow keys.
- The feedback icon on the app toolbar is now accessible to screen readers.
- Quick Access is now fully accessible to screen readers.
- Screen readers can now read out the selected option in the dropdown menus in Settings, item overflow, field actions, and the user menu.
- Screen readers now announce the “next” button changes in our setup tour.
- When creating a new item, screen readers will now include information about which account and vault the new item will go to.
- The system’s processor type will now be included in the Diagnostics Report.
- Quick Access is now smarter and more helpful by prioritizing items based on your previous searches
- Quick Access no longer resizes the window when searching
- Avoid showing dupicate categories within Quick Find results
- Now hiding the main window after unlocking if unlock was started via Quick Access
- Fixed Quick Access menu text overflow issue
- Copy actions are now shown first in Quick Access Menu
- Added the ability to clear keyboard shortcuts in preferences
- Removed an inappropriate word from the secure password generator word list but we won’t tell you which one 😂
- Turn any Password item into a Login item by adding a username.
- Use your security key as a second factor to unlock the 1Password app.
- Use scopes to customize your search results and find only the items you need.
- Quick Access gets you where you’re going even sooner with faster load times, scrollable results, and smart actions that let you open and fill items, view details, and more.
- The vault count in the overview section of the diagnostics report now accurately reflects the number of vaults in all accounts.
- The background color for the item count is now a more readable shade of red when dragging items.
- Vault collection icons that include multiple account avatars now align nicely to the left in the menu.
- The titlebar button and toolbar height now matches other desktop platforms and the toolbar content is properly aligned. - Some errors are kinder than they appear – the Native Messaging Host manifest installation error has softened to a gentle warning.
- A slew of style and design adjustments to the Quick Access menu fixes the title color of the item row, the color of the search icon, and the style, window width, padding, and margins of the hint bar.
- The Software License item now has a multi-line text field.
- Double vision be gone! The keyboard shorcuts modal no longer duplicates keys in list items.
Ctrl + Fshortcut no longer includes a space when in an item list that does not support search filters.
- Quick Access no longer crashes after launching.
Who here loves great musical covers of classic songs? Like Jimi Hendrix’s cover of Bob Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower”, which turned a nice, folksy tune into an iconic piece of rock music? Some covers are just better than the original, and it’s what every good cover song endeavors to do – to take something that’s already good and make it into something even better. At 1Password, we love to do just that. We’re always striving to make our apps even more amazing than the original. And whether you want to view recently deleted items, scan your Setup Code when signing in to the app, or change accounts when creating new vaults, this release has got you (and us) covered! 🎶🎸
And after you check out this week’s awesome covers, we’d love to hear from our Early Access community about your experience with 1Password 8 so far. Please take our 1Password 8 Early Access Survey.
Participation in the survey is completely optional and if you do choose to participate, your feedback is kept anonymous. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and insight.
- Access your recently deleted items from the sidebar.
- Scan your Setup Code to sign in to your 1Password account, or use the improved Emergency Kit option.
- You can now switch accounts when creating a new vault.
- Hardened the Windows Registry handler for URLs to improve security.
- Screen readers will now indicate more options are available for password and security question fields.
- The item location bar is now more accessible when using a screen reader.
- Added visual cues and messages to provide more helpful feedback when using Quick Access shortcuts.
- Type-ahead has been added to the Quick Access menu.
- Increased window height and padding on item rows in the Quick Access menu.
- Watchtower received some aesthetic enhancements with updates to the the layout, card fonts, and “Show items” button.
- Item permissions are now checked to determine which edit menu actions are available.
- The uninstaller now works with Windows accounts that contain symbols.
- It’s now possible to use the keyboard to select a vault in the Move or Copy Items views.
- Pressing the Esc (Escape) key now closes the password history modal.
- Permissions are now checked before the delete or archive action is performed.
- The Quick Access view reopens to its previous location after the app locks or restarts.
- Fixed the text wrapping for note fields.