- Everything is new! 😎
We’re on a journey to reimagine everything 1Password can be on Windows. And you’re invited to join us!
It seems like just yesterday I unveiled 1Password 7 for Windows. At the time I said every bit and every pixel had been recreated from scratch to make 1Password the best it could be. It was a tremendously successful release.
Fast forward 3 years to today and I’m excited to reveal that we’re doing it all over again. We’re gearing up for all-new 1Password apps on every platform. Each one will be better and faster, and each will push the envelope for what you’ve come to expect from 1Password.
Today we’re opening early access for the next generation of 1Password for Windows. And it’s gorgeous! 😍
Next level design
Our designers and user experience specialists never stop iterating, polishing, and reimagining how 1Password can best help you get your work done.
For the next 1Password for Windows we’re applying every lesson we learned to create a delightful experience. And a delightful experience is often a darkful experience. 😎
Next level organization
With this latest iteration of 1Password for Windows we set out to simplify things so you can quickly find what you need. From a redesigned sidebar to new features like quick find and intelligent search results, you have the tools you need to stay on top of all of your items.
Next level sharing
Items now prominently show when they are being shared and it’s super clear who they’re being shared with. And when moving items you’ll see who will have access to the item before completing the move.
Next level Watchtower
The new Watchtower Dashboard makes it super easy to monitor and evaluate your password security health. Greatly improve your security by replacing passwords that need attention.
Next level editing
Editing is now easier than ever, thanks to improvements like smart suggestions and a new password generator. The item editor is more powerful, too. Attach files directly to your items so you have them close at hand. And with our new Security Questions feature you can generate secure answers to those pesky questions some websites require.
Next level performance
Our new 1Password apps are built in Rust, a secure systems programming language famous for its performance and safety. 🦀
You won’t see this change but you’ll feel it. The app is incredibly responsive across the board, from unlocking to adding accounts to searching your items.
Next level security
As always your items are protected with strong end-to-end encryption so only you can see them. Along with your Secret Key, advanced MFA options, and secure remote password, your data is more secure than ever.
And the lock screen now shows all your accounts. Along with Windows Hello for easy unlocking it’s never been easier to protect yourself, your family, and your entire company.
Next level data loss protection
The next generation of apps come with more protection against data loss than ever. You can restore recently deleted items as well as return to previous versions of an item in case of accidental edits or deletion.
Oh, and with 1Password Families and 1Password Business accounts you can assign people who will be able to recover your account in the event you forget your password. And the best part is recovery happens in a way that no one sees your private data.
Next level browsing
Let’s finish off with my favourite: the early access release integrates with our new 1Password in the browser to bring you our best experience, whether you use Edge, Brave, Firefox, or Chrome.
The inline menu gives you quick access to what you need exactly where you need it. It’s incredible! 🤩 And saving is more powerful and never looked better.
And yes, 1Password is sporting a dark theme in that screenshot! Dark mode is supported throughout the app and browser so it looks incredible everywhere! 😍
Try now with Early Access
With Early Access you can try the new 1Password for Windows before it is released. If you enjoy being on the bleeding edge, please join our new Early Access community and help us make this new app the best it can be:
Here you will find instructions on how to install the new app and share feedback with our development team.
And if you use other platforms in addition to Windows, you’re still welcome to join as this early access is compatible with our existing apps. We’ll also be releasing early access apps for all the other platforms over the coming months. It’s going to be an exciting year! 🤘
Take care and if you’re as excited about this as we are, please give us some love on Product Hunt and join our AMA on Thursday at noon eastern to, well…ask us anything. 🙂 Our entire team and I will be there to answer any questions that may be on your mind. 🤗
This is the way. 🚀🖖🏼
- Brand new design for the About page!
- The user can now enable reduced motion on the OS.
- TOTP code generation no longer causes high CPU usage.
- Give the Windows release a new icon.
- “Make a Copy” can now create a copy of an item in the current vault.
- We now support Duo’s version 2 authentication protocol.
- Fixed a problem where the MFA modal would disappear if it was open at the same time that 1Password locks.
- Icons for new items will be loaded while the user is editing the new item.
- Notifications can now appear even while 1Password is locked.
- Control + S again saves an item while the user is editing it.
- Help > About is now available in when 1Password is unlocked
- Tags can once again be added using the enter key
- Old instances of app icons are now removed from the system tray before an update on Windows
- Internal improvements and fixes
- New windows will always open on the same screen as 1Password’s main window.
- 1Password will show an alert when the user no longer has permission to save an item they are editing.
- Items on the action list are now pluralized when the user has multiple items selected.
- We added more helpful error messages for when the user makes a mistake entering codes for two factor authentication.
- Quick Search gives higher priority to favorited items.
- Now avoids re-checking any known vulnerable passwords within the same 24 hours.
- Show a better icon in the details view for missing files.
- An option to show auto-saved web details in the item details view has been added to 1Password’s Advanced settings.
- 1Password will show a warning if you’re attaching a file that is larger than the 2GB file size limit.
- Users can now show details about the web page associated with an item.
- 1Password will update only when locked and in the background.
- Fixed some undefined file watching behaviour
- Set consistent icons for 1Password for the desktop and for the 1Password browser helper.
- Text are now center-justified in the About 1Password screen.
- Removed an extra word (“at”) from item last modified text.
- Re-enabled error reporting for the 1Password for Windows installer.
- It is now possible to copy an item from a vault that lacks the permission to update items.
- Fixed an issue where dismissing the two-factor authentication view would incorrectly attempt to submit instead of cancelling it.
- Updated the diagnostics report tool to include item counts as well as any sync issues found.
- Various internal fixes and optimizations.
- A variety of improvements to window management, visual glitches, and biometric prompting issues.
- The menu from right-clicking on an item is now consistent with the item detail’s overflow menu.
- Fixed the scrollbar in the vault icon selector view.
- Fixed a bug in which dismissing an error prompt during vault creation could cause 1Password to exit.
- New vaults will show up in the sidebar immediately after creation.
- Fixed some spacing issues in the item detail editor.
- In certain old items, the top section header was not editable if it contained a user-entered text.
- Fixed the grouping of commonly used categories in the category filter.
- 1Password incorrectly didn’t fall back to the six-digit prompt for two-factor authentication for users who have security keys registered to their 1Password account.
- Quitting the app while the two-factor authentication prompt was open no longer prevents the prompt from showing up again.
- Fixed the UI glitch on the divider between the item list and item detail views when scrolling either the item list or the details view.
- Fix some problems with bringing 1Password to the foreground when triggered from the browser.
- Default the Setup Another Device view to the currently selected account
- Replaced “Unsecured URLs” with “Unsecured Websites” everywhere.
- Watchtower will now only check the first URL saved in the item when checking for unsecured website addresses.
- Removed the Check for vulnerable password field option on the password fields.
- Fixed a problem with the installer not fully cleaning up when there are spaces in the path.
- Clarified the app update notification message.
- Fixed problems with mixed character inserts and truncated characters when dragging a username or password.
- Users can now edit (and delete) auto-saved web form details.
- We’ve optimized our icons for performance.
- When 1Password is already unlocked, signing into a new account will take the user to that account.
- We improved the look and feel of the 1Password account sign-in view.
- We improved our error messages on the lock screen.
- Connections to your 1Password account are a bit more robust.
- We refreshed the categories picker icon.
ESCnow dismisses the move item and new vault views.
- We fixed a extra error message with the “Edit”, “Move”, and “Copy” actions.
- We fixed a glitch with the icon selector when creating a new vault.
- We cleaned up some conflicting UI behaviors with multiple views overriding each other.
- We improved the look of the missing file icon.
- 1Password’s connection to the server will now stop when it encounters an unrecoverable error, instead of trying to continue.
- It is now possible to right-click to open an item in a new window, even if no item is currently selected.
- The Advanced Settings panel now has an option to disable automatic updates.
- We improved the performance of drag and drop.
- After an update, 1Password will re-open with the same window size and position.
- The Shortcut key or
Shift + F10is now available to show the context menu on the selected items in the item list.
- Restored the
Control + Kshortcut for the keyboard shortcuts guide.
- Aligned the rightmost icons on the sidebar.
- Dimmed the extra parts of the website address to make the main domain pop out.
- Fixed the issue where resizing the sidebar would not resize back if the dragging motion was paused but not released.
- Non-numeric characters are no longer allowed in the numeric date fields.
- Clicking a Related Item now minimizes the sidebar and item list changes while updating the item details view.
- Turned off the horizontal scrolling in the Settings > About 1Password pane.
- Watchtower dashboard now has smoother animations.
- Fixed the Setting icons to be round.
- Double click on item in the item list now opens them in a new window.
- Quick Find now minimizes the sidebar and item list changes when selecting the result.
- Large type will now show a correctly formatted title for URL fields on items.
- Fixed the Dark mode progress spinner to be the correct color.
- The item location bar now truncates properly.
- Updated default button style.
- Fixed our icon cache that were displaying incorrect account avatars on the lock view and Rich items in the item list when using multiple 1Password accounts.
- When adding a new 1Password account manually, the sign-in address will be validated automatically prior to signing-in.
- The window manages its focus better in more situations.
- Updated item detail top spacing.
- Added new button icons in the manual account sign in view.
- Restored the Essentials Settings view when signing in for the first time.
- 1Password will now install the downloaded update upon quitting if automatic update is enabled.
- Quick Find has been greatly overhauled to be more performant while using less CPU and it can now better handle accents, emojis 💗, and more.
- Revisited and adjusted our keyboard shortcuts for consistency across platforms. Learn about them by using the keyboard shortcuts guide with
Control + /or click the Help icon on the toolbar.
- Restored keyboard shortcuts for refreshing the window and for triggering the account data update check.
Menu > Exithas been fixed to exit the app.
- Security settings have been adjusted to be disabled while 1Password is locked.
- Adjusted the wording of the vault permission setting in the New Vault view.
- Fixed dragging fields within the same item details view to avoid clicking any fields.
- Expanded and improved the wordings of our update checks in the About view.
- If the updater fails to validate the downloaded file, it’ll reject it and switch the update check back to being up to date.