- Everything is new! 🥰
This is 1Password 8 for iOS and Android. It’s a brand-new experience designed to bring a little order to a hyper-connected world. Where did I save my medical records? What’s my bank account number? Do I need to worry about that data breach I heard about yesterday?
And, of course, what the heck is my password?
Built for speed
When we began work on 1Password 8 for iOS and Android, we went straight to customers to find out what they were trying to accomplish in 1Password. Armed with that knowledge, we then dove into making it as fast and easy as possible to achieve those tasks. Speed is everything on mobile, and 1Password 8 delivers.
It starts with your new home screen. And I mean it when I say it’s your home screen. When you open 1Password, you can hide, unhide, or reorder what you see here. You can even pin specific fields from your items to this screen for instantaneous access.
I have my kids' Screen Time passcode pinned to my home screen so I can show it in Large Type with a tap. No two people are alike – and now, no two 1Passwords are alike.
The new design also incorporates an updated, always-available navigation bar so you can:
- Quickly access your home screen. Here you’ll find your favorites, recent items, or anything else you want fast access to.
- Access all items across all your accounts. All your vaults, all your tags. It’s all here.
- Search everything. When you tap the search button, the search field is immediately focused. Just start typing to find what you’re looking for.
- Boost your security. Get one-tap access to the all-new Watchtower experience for mobile.
Of course, 1Password is more than just an app. If we’re doing things right, it feels like an extension of iOS and Android, putting the things you’ve stored in 1Password right at your fingertips, right when you need them.
Maybe you’re autofilling the one-time code when you log into your banking app, or your payment card info on Amazon.
Everywhere you need it, the autofill experience is now faster and more precise. Payment cards, addresses, identities – autofill whatever you need, when you need it, on both iOS (with the Safari extension) and Android.
Built for peace of mind
There’s nothing like knowing – not guessing, but knowing – that you’re protected. With the all-new Watchtower experience for mobile, that peace of mind is just a tap away.
Watchtower is your security sentinel, letting you know when you need to take action and making it easier to do so. If your credentials are involved in a data breach, you’ll see an alert in Watchtower and in the item itself. Tap it to take steps to protect yourself (like changing your password).
Those actionable alerts now extend to your security score, which gives you a bird’s-eye view of your overall security. Watchtower continually evaluates key security data points (locally, on your device) to calculate your score, and shows you where you can take action to improve your security. Your score incorporates things like weak passwords, inactive two-factor authentication, compromised passwords, and others.
You can also share your score directly from Watchtower by copying it or tweeting it. Watch out, though – this can get addictive fast. I’ve been known to spend idle minutes knocking down security issues in my own vaults to get my score just a little bit higher.
We also made security questions easier. Questions like “What’s your mother’s maiden name?” or “What was the name of your childhood pet?” are designed to enhance security, but they can also be a pain. If the question is too obscure, it’s hard to remember the answer. Too common and it’s easy to find that info if an attacker looks hard enough.
Now you can generate random answers to security questions as easily as you generate a password. Just add a security question field to any item, and let 1Password generate an answer for you. Better security, no more guesswork.
Of course, you still get all the other security-boosting features you’ve come to expect from 1Password. That includes the ability to securely share items – yep, files and documents too – with anyone, even if they don’t use 1Password.
Built for you
Nothing is as personal as these little rectangles in our pockets, so with 1Password 8 we wanted to create something that you could shape to your needs.
Enter the customizable new home screen.
You might want fast access to your favorites and pinned fields, whereas I might prefer to see a list of frequently used and recently created items. It’s your 1Password, so it’s your call.
What are pinned fields? The easiest way to make 1Password truly yours. You can pin any field in a 1Password item directly to your home screen, so you always have instant access to, say, your bank’s routing number or the one-time code for your Twitter login.
To customize your home screen, scroll to the bottom of the screen and select “Customize” then select or deselect sections to show or hide them (respectively). Drag-and-drop sections to choose the order in which they appear.
Collections have come to iOS and Android, too. Collections are an easy way to create a custom group of vaults for easier context switching. Maybe you want to create a collection of personal, work, and travel vaults, or create collections that separate shared vaults with private ones.
Again, it’s up to you. Just tap the vault icon at the top of the screen and select “Manage Collections” to set it up.
1Password also respects your device’s appearance settings, so if you dwell on the dark side all day long with Dark Mode, 1Password will embrace the darkness right along with you. 😎
Download 1Password 8 for iOS and Android
I can’t emphasize the new part of “all-new” enough. 1Password 8 is more than an upgrade: It’s a brand new experience, and you can download it now from the App Store and Google Play Store. 1Password 7 will not automatically upgrade to 1Password 8.
Once you download the app and start exploring, you’ll also find little flourishes throughout: new icons and typography, detailed item views, and new indicators next to shared items so you can see what’s shared and what’s private at a glance.
Regardless of how you set up your 1Password, you’ll be getting the most advanced version of 1Password we’ve ever built, completely recreated for a mobile-first world.
PS: I want to give a huge shout-out to all our Early Access testers. Your feedback has been invaluable… but we’re not done yet! We’re always listening, so if you’d like to share your thoughts, stop by the community and say hi.
- We’ve fixed the supported languages for 1Password in the iOS settings.
- We’ve updated the titles for the Customize Home and Customize Items screens.
- We’ve fixed an issue the caused the item creation screen to disappear if you go to the iOS Home screen.
- We’ve improved the experience of customizing the Home and Items tabs.
- We’ve fixed an issue that caused the Edit button to not work when an item was opened in AutoFill.
- The correct document size will now be reported when adding a file to an item.
- We’ve updated the empty Home screen to be more vertically aligned.
- You can now subscribe to a 1Password membership via an in-app purchase for your 1Password account on the Manage Accounts view.
- We’ve fixed an issue where 1Password accounts added to 1Password 7 wouldn’t be shown when opening 1Password 8 for the first time and the device has the iCloud Keychain disabled.
Here’s the full list of changes in this release:
- You can now choose how often your account password is required when you unlock with Face ID or Touch ID.
Here’s the full list of changes in this release:
- Bug fixes and improvements.
- Due to the latest iOS system update, biometrics have been temporarily disabled in Safari.
Here’s the full list of changes in this release:
- A brand new version of 1Password for Apple Watch is now available with new features, complications support, and more! 🎉
- You can now turn off two-factor authentication for your 1Password account from within the 1Password app.
- We’ve improved the experience with VoiceOver while viewing an item details, including the way that field labels and contents are handled and enhancements to fields viewed in Large Type.
- You can now sort your Favorites.
- You can now reorder and manage pinned fields.
- In-app toast messages can now be read by VoiceOver such as when tapping fields to copy it.
- We’ve added a What’s New billboard so you can learn about new features in the latest release.
- The Home screen now has an empty view if you haven’t customized it yet.
- The app icon has been slightly updated.
- We’ve improved the design of the Home screen.
- We’ve made some improvements to vulnerable password checks in Watchtower.
- We’ve updated some translations and localization.
- We’ve fixed an issue where the title of the Home screen wouldn’t display.
- We’ve fixed an issue where a pinned field that was removed from an item could not be unpinned.
- You can now tap and hold an item in a list to preview it.
- We’ve improved horizontal scrolling of banners on the Home screen.
- We’ve fixed an issue where AutoFill would show dates for suggested Password items instead of their titles.
- We’ve fixed an issue where archived and deleted items would be shown when the items list is opened from the Home tab.
- Copying a one-time password will no longer display a notification while in the app.
- The title in the Search tab no longer resizes when starting a search.
- We’ve made various design improvements throughout the app and fixed some visual issues.
- We’ve optimized performance of item lists.
- We’ve improved the experience of selecting multiple items and performing actions on them.
- We’ve made some improvements to the way that back buttons are displayed on iPadOS.
- If you tap a tag on the Items tab and open an item, navigating back from the item details will no longer take you to the All Items list.
- We’ve fixed an issue where if set to lock immediately, 1Password did not unlock to the last item that was visible prior to locking.
- We’ve fixed an issue where renaming a tag wouldn’t sync the change to your 1Password account.
- We’ve fixed an issue that prevented fields with matching section identifiers from being deleted.
- We’ve fixed an issue where vaults wouldn’t be shown when moving an item.
- We’ve fixed an issue where the keyboard would cover the “add tag” field.
- We’ve fixed an issue where tapping the reveal button on a field when signing in manually wouldn’t reveal the field.
- We’ve fixed an issue where typing numbers into a password field would change the keyboard to numbers after each character.
- Canceling search now returns you to the previous view.
- We’ve fixed an issue where tapping an item would load its details twice on iPad.
- We’ve removed the “Pin to Home” menu option on the password history entries as it wasn’t usable.
- We’ve fixed an issue where icons throughout the app could look blurry.
- We’ve fixed an issue that could cause inaccurate password strength results for items.
- We’ve fixed an issue that’d prevent you from using drag-and-drop to move an item to a shared vault.
- Tapping a tag on the Home tab will now properly redirect you to the tag.
- We’ve fixed an issue where the list of vaults shown when moving an item wouldn’t be read by VoiceOver.
- We’ve fixed a visual issue with the stripes shown at the top of the app when editing an item.
- We’ve fixed an issue with the color of the subtitle text used under the title of an item when viewing a list of items.
- We’ve removed the colon after “Language” in Settings > Advanced.
- We’ve fixed some crashes.
- You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari after updating to iOS 16.1 or later. #17988
- We’ve fixed an issue on iPad that caused the sidebar selection to not update when switching collections. !15069
- We’ve fixed a design issue in the app’s settings that caused text to be cut off. #16560
- We’ve fixed a navigation issue when viewing an item in split screen mode on an iPad, then switching to full screen. #18018